Summary of Qualifications
As a practicing attorney with over 25 years of experience, I am oriented to producing quality results, utilizing a hands-on approach in the disciplines of risk management, corporate transactions and litigation. My career path experience includes development of corporate compliance and education programs, negotiating and drafting corporate contracts, negotiation and litigation of civil claims, interaction with State and Federal agencies and collection and analysis of data with presentation of the same to corporate governing boards.
Major strengths include excellent communication skills, conscientious relationship development, strong negotiation skills, thorough research and investigative skills, comprehensive knowledge of risk management practices and litigation practice experience in the areas of civil, health care and criminal law.
- Civil Practice and Litigator
- Sheron Alves Bass, P.A. 2012 – Present – Operate an elder law practice which integrates the health care and corporate practice experience to assist clients with estate structuring and asset planning to help them meet their pre mortem asset protection goals and their post mortem estate distribution goals.
- Bush Ross, P.A. 2010-2012 Shareholder – Organized a communication process for client relations and discovery requests within a medical malpractice defense team improving effectiveness in negotiations at mediation and trial presentations.
- Barr, Murman, Tonelli, et al 1996-1998 General Practice Associate
- Sawyer and Pilka, P.A. 1995-1996 General Practice Associate
- Coordinated general civil and criminal practice division efforts within insurance defense firms to increase productivity of the division and volume of the general practice cases managed by the firms.
- Hillsborough County Public Defender’s Office 1993-1995 Assistant Public Defender -Achieved 80% success rate over two years representing clients charged with juvenile to felony criminal charges.
- Sheron Alves James, Attorney at Law 1989-1993 Sole Practitioner – Managed a successful solo practice with specialization in corporate transactional practice for small businesses.
- Blake Medical Center 2009-2010 Risk Manager In conjunction with the Quality Department and Administration, implemented a robust risk management relationship with staff and contractors through the analysis of reported data and risk reduction education to all departments monthly which resulted in improved quality scores and improved morale.
- University Community Hospital 2004-2006 Risk Manager In conjunction with the Quality Department and Administration, developed a successful inter-disciplinary team and process for managing on-site investigations of the facility by State, Federal and credentialing authorities resulting in fewer findings and greater efficiency in managing on site surveys. Additionally, in conjunction with the Medical Staff Office, improved patient outcomes in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit through education on analytical analysis of reported incidents and strengthened relationship with staff.
- BayCare Health System 1998-2004 Risk Manager Successfully coordinated data collection and developed strong relationships with brokers to procure favorable cost saving for insurance premiums throughout the system. Further, in concert with department directors, developed and presented risk reduction education for staff and physicians.
Education and Certification
- University of South Florida, Class of 1983 B.A. Business Administration, Major – Finance
- University of Richmond, Class of 1987 Juris Doctor
- Admitted to practice – Florida Bar 1988
- Admitted to practice – U.S. District Court – Middle District of the State of Florida 1991
- Health Care Risk Manager Licensure – State of Florida 1999
- VA Accredited Attorney – Department of Veterans Affairs 2015
Affiliations & Awards
- Forest Hills Presbyterian Learning Center Board of Directors – Treasurer 2015-present
- Temple Terrace Bar Association – Secretary 2013- present
- The Life Center Board of Directors – Advisory Board – 2014-present
- Greater Temple Terrace Chamber of Commerce – Board of Directors – 2014-2018
- Past Board Chair 2016-2017
- 4 th of July Committee Chair – 2014-2017
- Programs Chair – 2015-2018
- Small Business of the Year Award Recipient 2017
- Hillsborough County Veterans Helping Veteran Board of Directors 2015-2017
Have Questions or
Need Legal Advice?